Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The World Through New Eyes

Can you love without possession?

Over coffee this morning I was recapping to Jeremy on the book "The Alchemist".  I've read this book many times. On the surface it is about a boy on a journey to find his destiny (a treasure at the base of the pyramids in Egypt).  During his travels across the desert the caravan he is with stops at an oasis.  Here he meets a girl and falls in love with her and considers giving up his pursuit of destiny to be with her.

"I came to tell you just one thing" the boy said.  "I want you to be my wife.  I love you." .... "I'm a desert woman and I'm proud of that.  I want my husband to wander as free as the wind that shapes the dunes.  And, if I have to I will accept the fact that he has become a part of the clouds, and the animals and the water of the desert."

As much as their love was mutual, she did not wish for him to give up on the pursuit of his destiny.  In fact, it was the ardent pursuit of his dreams that had drawn her to him.  Soon after this he leaves the oasis and continues to travel to the pyramids, the Alchemist accompanying him as a teacher and guide.  They encounter many dangers along the way, to which the boy comments on how his beginner's luck seems to have run out.  To which the Alchemist says:

"What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way.  It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we've learned as we move toward that dream.  That's the point at which most people give up."

This book has many lessons, most metaphorical, that can be applied to every readers life, regardless of where you see yourself along the journey.  What has resonated with me this time through is the idea of love without boundaries.  Can I love and be loved so unselfishly as to not hinder you from the pursuit of your journey?  Can I love and be loved so fearlessly, that no matter how dangerous or far reaching our journeys are calling, I can go and let you go, for both of our great good?  Can I love you just because I love you?  And know that our bond is not a boundary but rather the very thing that makes us a part of the others dream, our connection to the very Soul of the World, where everything is written by the same hand.

No comments: